From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: [gentoo-user] xen and ext4
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:06:45
1 Xi Shen posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 20:50:44 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > hi,
4 >
5 > i am using gentoo x64. i want to try xen, but my file system is ext4,
6 > and i cannot fine ext4 support while compiling xen-source. have i missed
7 > something, or ext4 is not supported by xen for now? when will it be
8 > available?
9
10 xen uses out-of-mainline patches, and it appears at least the versions in
11 the Gentoo tree are pretty old, 2.6.18 as ~arch and 2.6.21 hard-masked.
12 AFAIK, that's well before ext4 was declared non-dev. I don't think you
13 want to /touch/ ext4 from that old, if it was even in the tree as
14 ext4-dev yet.
15
16 Generally, the folks that are interested in xen run servers and are very
17 conservative about the filesystems they'll run, even more than the apps
18 they run, which they want stable and well tested. They're not the type
19 to want any surprises or take any not absolutely necessary risks -- and
20 quite the type that would consider any filesystem not yet at least three
21 years old to be just that, an "unnecessary risk". It's thus unlikely
22 that you'll find much interest in ext4 on xen for some time.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman