From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Sun and GPL
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 11:55:34
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
2 200705280542.32246.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Mon, 28 May
3 2007 05:42:32 -0500:
4
5 >> So, Duncan's idea of dual-licensing the kernel under GPL v2/v3 until
6 >> all bits of kernel code written by non-agreeing parties are removed
7 >> would not work.
8 >
9 > Right, but Linus could take the stance that all new submission have to
10 > be licenced (to him) under GPLv2/GPLv3 and then one there's no
11 > GPLv2-only code left, release a kernel under GPLv3. Until the point
12 > where there's no GPLv2 only code, Linus could only release the whole
13 > work under GPLv2, but everyone would know the transition was in the
14 > works.
15
16 That's basically what I had in mind, yes. Only I (inadvertently) took a
17 logical shortcut while explaining it, and Richard obviously didn't follow
18 me when I veered off. =8^\ That's the whole reason it couldn't simply
19 be made GPLv3 in an instant, however. New code (and presumably the old
20 code from all currently active contributors who agreed and continued to
21 contribute) would instantly be dual-licensed, so it could use the old
22 GPLv2 only code with the GPLv2 license, while the GPLv3 license remained
23 in place but basically unused until all the GPLv2 only code was removed,
24 at which point the GPLv2 dual license could be dropped off the new code
25 as well (tho anyone wanting it could get it under GPLv2 could get it
26 under that last dual licensed snapshot, until further new GPLv3 only code
27 was added, anyway). Finally, the kernel was GPLv2 and later for quite
28 some time, the GPLv2 only being a relatively new development as well.
29 Thus, anything in the last GPL2 or later snapshot could immediately be
30 upgraded to GPLv2/v3 as well. All told, within a few months, the large
31 majority could be dual-licensed. It's just that last 20, 10, 5, 2, 1%,
32 as an increasing focus is placed on the issue, that's the sticking point,
33 and that could ultimately cause the switchover to take five years or so.
34
35 Still, it's doable, just over some significant time and with some
36 substantial effort required.
37
38 Thanks for pointing that out, Richard, and Boyd for clarifying what I
39 meant.
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
47 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list