From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Advice Wanted! Setup Instuctions ...
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 20:04:15
1 "Christopher E" <sensory.access@×××××.com> posted
2 184c54640605200819k795c6e4dma6bf1fc302f66c2e@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 20 May 2006 11:19:18 -0400:
4
5 > Hello Ducan,
6 >
7 >> I've only done the initial stage-1 setup, and now they recommend
8 >> starting from stage three and just doing an emerge --emptytree, so I
9 >> don't have much of use to say in that or the other areas.
10 >
11 > Do you have any stuff I can read about using a stage three and doing a
12 > emerge --emptytree, and why one would do such?
13
14 The newer editions of the handbook cover it in some detail, but I was
15 lurking on the dev list when it was discussed there, so I can give a bit
16 more developer side viewpoint. Boyd SS Jr. also has some very good
17 points, so grab them too. (That's what's great about lists/groups, often
18 you get several posts, each from slightly different viewpoints, and get to
19 pick and choose the explanations and try the solutions first that fit
20 yourr style. =8^)
21
22 Basically what's happened is that with all the packages and platforms and
23 all the customization possible with Gentoo now, it's simply no longer
24 possible to test all the permutations and corner-cases of building from a
25 stage-1. Too often, some of those corner cases fail to work, and people
26 trying to install Gentoo are left frustrated when they run into first one
27 problem and then another.
28
29 The stage-3 approach, which is what the handbook strongly recommends now,
30 starts with far more of the system initially compiled. You then do an
31 emerge --empty-tree system once you've set up your CFLAGS and the like the
32 way you want them, and portage recompiles everything the way you want it.
33 Done right, it's a far easier way to end up with the same customized
34 system you'd have otherwise, and since the packages in the stage-three are
35 all tested to work as they exist in the stage-three, it's far harder to
36 break and there are far fewer corner cases for folks to run into.
37
38 There are a few drawbacks, however. As BSSJ mentions, it's a bit more
39 difficult to change CHOST, among other things. However, with amd64 we are
40 lucky as there's really not much reason for us /to/ change CHOST. The
41 other one that's big here, is that I not only started from stage-one, but
42 due to those memory issues I mentioned in the reply to BSSJ, I actually
43 had to take apart bootstrap.sh and execute each step manually, one at a
44 time. As a result, I know rather more about what makes a Linux system tick
45 than I would have otherwise. Folks that do a stage-three simply aren't
46 going to be forced to get as up close and personal with their systems as
47 those choosing a stage-one and persevering thru all the corner-cases to
48 find solutions. It'll be far faster and far easier, but they'll not know
49 as much about their system when they are done, and in some ways, that's a
50 shame. It actually took me three months to get the system up and running
51 (I was dual booting Mandrake at the time, so it wasn't as if the system
52 was entirely dead for three months), due to the hardware and some software
53 problems I ran into, back on 2004.0 and 2004.1 when I first installed
54 Linux, but I'm glad I did it that way, as I know FAR more about Linux and
55 Gentoo than I would have otherwise. (As well, since it took me that long,
56 and all the while I was in this group/list, the user group, and lurking in
57 the devel group, I learned all the stupid mistakes folks make before I
58 got to them and was able to steer clear. Stuff like the guy that just ran
59 emerge --prune without checking to see what it was doing, first, etc.)
60
61 >> Specific: Check that those video card USE flags are all USE flags, not
62 >> VIDEO_CARDS flags (that is, USE_EXPAND, not USE). sis, for instance,
63 >> doesn't appear to be a USE flag (euse -i sis doesn't list it for either
64 >> local or global), altho i8x0 is a local use flag for a couple packages.
65 >
66 > I in this case am not using the sis or what not. I am going to just use
67 > the video card that I am wanting to have support for under the VIDEO_CARDS
68 > flags like radeon, vesa etc when I understand more about telling it not to
69 > install support for others then I will add this then.
70
71 BSSJ covered this. All I was saying is be sure to use --pretend, and get
72 the right stuff in the right place, USE vs VIDEO_CARDS, or you'll not end
73 up with the system you wanted. However, it looks like you got that
74 covered.
75
76 >> General: Since you are starting over, it's a good time to consider one
77 >> of my favorite features, FEATURES=buildpkg
78 > Can you tell me more about this and is this go in the make.conf file? so
79 > does this mean the system runs from bin files instead of what every the
80 > other way is?
81
82 BSSJ covered this, too. I'll just add a pointer back to the handbook. In
83 particular, this is mentioned (but unfortunately not in the detail I'd
84 prefer if I wrote it) along with a bunch of other useful info, in the
85 Working with Portage and Working with Gentoo sections of the handbook.
86 DON'T JUST READ THE INSTALL SECTION AND STOP, OR YOU'LL MISS SOME OF THE
87 BEST PARTS OF THE HANDBOOK! Those Working with... parts are extremely
88 useful for just that... continuing to work with your system as the weeks
89 and months roll by, long after you finish installing. Again, since it
90 took me so long to get a working system up and running, I had plenty of
91 time to read up on those things, and read thru them several times, and
92 from what I've seen on the groups, I'm more effective as a Gentoo sysadmin
93 than most, because I know the tools and how they work.
94
95 Very briefly since BSSJ covered it and it's in the documentation too,
96 after the compile and install to the fake image in $PORTAGE_TMPDIR are
97 done, portage normally does a qmerge step, that moves everything from the
98 fake install image to the live system all in one step. FEATURES=buildpkg
99 changes that so portage creates its own binary package archive instead,
100 then unpacks the archive and installs from it, thereby testing the archive
101 as it installs. Again, having this archive can be very handy if an upgrade
102 goes wrong and you need to remerge an older version again. Since you had
103 it merged before, you should have the binpkg still around, and can tell
104 portage to use it rather than having to go thru and recompile it again, as
105 you would if you'd removed it to install the upgrade then decided to roll
106 back, but did NOT have the binpkg hanging around.
107
108 I meant to mention the first time but forgot. The binpkg archive is
109 normally kept in your portage tree, and will take 2-4 gigs more space than
110 if you didn't have it.
111
112 As for ccache and confcache, ccache is dealt with in the handbook fairly
113 well, so no need to cover it here. confcache is newer, new to still ~arch
114 portage 2.1-rcs, but there's very little to configure there, besides
115 turning on the feature and emerging confcache. I believe it's covered at
116 least in make.conf.example and the make.conf manpage, assuming you have
117 ~arch portage of course. However, I don't think it's in the handbook yet.
118 The only thing you have to worry about with it is that very occasionally
119 something might not compile right with it, but if you are running ~arch
120 portage and gcc, you should be prepared to deal with that anyway. It's
121 easy enough to toggle FEATURES=-confcache if you are having trouble with
122 something, just to ensure it's not confcache.
129 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
132 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list