From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Problem With Kernel 2.6.37
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 20:06:10
1 On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 18:10:03 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > Are the devices actually
6 > showing up in /dev/? Assuming you use udev, maybe it's the problem? If
7 > you run them as modules not built-in, are the alsa kernel modules
8 > themselves actually loading?
9
10 First, I want to thank all those who took the time to confirm (even though,
11 from my perspective, it was all bad news :-( ).
12
13 The modules are loading without problem. For example, the kernel
14 log reports the following:
15
16 kernel: ICE1712 0000:04:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
17
18 Both lspci and alsa-info.sh show that the sound card is there, and
19 this would not happen if the modules were not being properly loaded.
20 In other words the kernel can detect the card.
21
22 I don't use udev. All modules are loaded manually and the devices
23 in /dev are permanent. Permissions are also as they should be,
24 because an alsa script was used to create the devices.
25
26 The problem seems to be with the applications. The open() routine
27 reports back "no device found." Now, open() is a glibc routine but
28 it will ultimately call the kernel routines that are, I believe, contained
29 in the alsa modules. Since kernel 2.6.36 works, it most likely is a
30 kernel 2.6.37 issue.
31
32 I'll have to recompile 2.6.37 with debugging output and see what
33 happens.
34
35 Frank Peters