From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Mobo recommendations
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:52:44
1 On 10/17/05, James Pattinson <jamesp@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi All
3 >
4 > If you have a mobo that you'd recommend for use with gentoo-amd64, could
5 > you please let me know?
6 >
7 > Things I'm looking for that are well supported on Linux
8 >
9 > * SATA 150
10 > * Ethernet (don't like the sound of the forcedeth driver)
11 > * No need for high end GFX
12 >
13 > I'm currently using an Optronix which seems to work well apart from some
14 > APIC issues, if these get sorted out by the manufacturer then I'd be
15 > happy to recomment this board.
16 >
17 > Cheers!
18 >
19 > James
20
21 Hi,
22 I'm using the Asus A8N-E motherboard with an AMD64 3000+ processor.
23 The forcedeth driver does seem to be the only driver in the kernel
24 that supports this NIC but it's built into my kernel and working fine
25 so far.
26
27 If I may ask, why do you not like the 'sound' of the forcedeth driver?
28
29 I'm running this motherboard with 2.6.14-rc-rt7. It's working
30 quitre well so far for realtime audio stuff althoguh my workload has
31 been pretty light. I've got a nice 1394b 800Mb/S card, a couple of
32 external hard drives and a 250GB SATA drive internal. ATI PCI-Express
33 adapter for which I have no real driver right now. Not a problem for
34 me.
35
36 The only problem I'm having with the most recent realtime kernel is
37 that the logout of Gnome takes almost 2 minutes. This was not a
38 problem a coupl eof releases back so I assume they'll work that out
39 pretty soon.
40
41 Off line I helped someone get the new kernel up and running on an
42 A8N-SLI motherboard. I cannot recommend an SLI solution, nor does it
43 sound like you need it, but it's there and does work.
44
45 Hope this helps,
46 Mark
49 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list