From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 32 or 64 for web server and mysql
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:25:04
1 to add to what Mark said -
4 P.V.Anthony, mused, then expounded:
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > I going to built a 1U server which will have the following.
8 >
9 > 1. Apache 2
10 > 2. Lighttpd
11
12 Why both web servers?
13
14 > 3. qmail
15
16 (Can't comment on this, using postfix)
17
18 > 4. vpopmail
19
20 (Haven't used any pop mail)
21
22 > 5. mysql
23 > 6. postgres
24 > 7. ruby
25 > 8. php
26 > 9. perl
27 > 10. tinydns
28
29 (Have only used this on 32-bit systems)
32 > 11. pureftpd
33 > 12. high availblity tools for fail over
34 >
35 (Haven't used thes, as I've had no failures)
36
37 > The question is which way to go 64bit or 32bit? Which more stable? Which
38 > is better?
41 I've run a couple of servers, 64-bit, for several years now - one since 2004,
42 and have had only one minor issue with the LSI MPT driver, but that was fixed
43 in 2.6.18.
44
45 My main uses have been file serving and some mail, along with backing up other
46 servers via rsnapshot on a daily basis.
47
48 Unlike more conservative admins, I run daily updates, with the exception of
49 critical software - kernel, dhcp, tftp, ftp, and nfs. And those still get
50 updated after I verify them.
53 > The reason for this questions is that there are some information on the
54 > net that says that there is no much difference between them.
55 > Is that true? Thought that 64bit is always better.
58 There are issues with digital media codecs and web browsers. But these are
59 servers. Also, note that the vast majority of Unix and Open source tools have
60 been run 64-bit for several decades on Unix and BSD boxes.
61
62 While the amd64 instruction set is a bit newer, and 32-bit code has been run
63 on millions of boxes, the 64-bit variants are as stable as anything else.
64
65 Bob
66 -
67 --