From: Greg Bur <greg.bur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: routers and mp3 players that do FLOSS Was: slaveryware
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:02:29
1 On 10/1/06, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > The thing I'm debating now, is if I choose to go full computer anyway, why
3 > not go lowest end amd64 I can buy, and run Gentoo on it the same as on my
4 > main system, in which case I can share at least /some/ packages, the ones
5 > without desktop specific USE flags that I want on both systems, anyway.
6 > In theory, I could even run a distcc client on it to help with compiling,
7 > altho my coming upgrade to dual dual-core Opterons (285s, most likely)
8 > would mean I'd not get /that/ much benefit out of it, and it'd break the
9 > rule of not putting stuff like gcc on a firewall purposed system. I
10 > figure low end bare-bones, with a smallish <100GB hard drive set hardware
11 > write-only mode after installation) and using an extra half-gig RAM stick I
12 > already have, would run ~$300-ish.
13 >
14 > So... anybody have any opinions on this? Should I go straight 32-bit or
15 > 64-bit Gentoo? If I went 32-bit, I'd probably go with a pre-built router
16 > distribution instead of bothering with trying to keep up with Gentoo on
17 > it, altho I might change my mind on that after I get the dual Opteron 285s
18 > in my main system. Anybody else running such things, either Gentoo or
19 > other Linux or BSD? Why did you choose what you did?
20
21 I just finished building a Gentoo router on a spare PC I had laying
22 around. I'm using it for much more than a router though. It's an old
23 P-III system so it only has a 100MHz bus and I had to use a Promise
24 ATA card for ATA66 support but it more than does the job. Two things
25 I did add were a local portage rsync mirror so I only have to run
26 emerge --sync once and then sync my other Gentoo machines against the
27 "router." I also installed squid and set up a faster drive with
28 reiser4 and a huge cache for the purpose of saving bandwidth. I've
29 noticed quite a difference when downloading packages for installation.
30 For instance, if there is an update for glibc the first computer to
31 grab it will download at the speed of my DSL link but subsequent
32 machines download at LAN speeds. This of course assumes that my AMD64
33 and x86 machines are downloading the same version of the file from the
34 same mirror. I've also thrown a lot of other packages on there like
35 snort, backuppc and ntop. Basically I'm using it to play around with
36 various bits of security software along with the usual routing duties.
37 Of course there is the matter of breaking the unwritten rule of not
38 having a compiler on an Internet-facing machine and I completely
39 understand that point of view. However, I am often left wondering
40 about how people running FreeBSD address this issue due to the
41 compiler being an integral part of the base system.
42
43 All-in-all if you're looking at building a PC-based router I would
44 just use an old box if you have one laying around and put a pair of
45 network cards in it. Unless of course you have all AMD64 systems on
46 your network. In that case it would make more sense to buy or build
47 an AMD64-based system and then do something like I have done with
48 squid.
49 --
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list