From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Problem With Kernel 2.6.37
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 00:06:23
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 22:20:28 +0100
Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl> wrote:

> works perfect here.
Thanks for the report -- even though, to me, it's bad news.
> > Curious: why aren't you using udev? >
I've been using Linux since 1998 and I like most the opportunity for control that Linux allows. To suit my minimalist needs, I have customized my system to a great extent. For example, I have completely eliminated the complex and cumbersome initialization scripts that are found in /etc/init.d, /etc/conf.d, and other locations. In their place I wrote my own very simple initialization script that automatically boots into console (no login). From there I can go to X (my usual action) or just use the console for configuration, troubleshooting, or other tasks. (I probably should not admit this. If any Gentoo maintainers hear about it they would flatly refuse to help if any problems arise. But I think that I understand the system well enough to take this approach safely.) I have also eliminated udev as part of this simplification. I know what's on my machine and what has to be done to enable it. I would rather not have actions performed "automagically" for me whenever I plug in a USB printer of storage device. Part of the reason is philosophical and part is just a desire to understand the OS better. Linux allows many possibilities for customization and, IMO, that is half the fun of using it. Most distributions, including Gentoo, adhere to the standard methods. But if one has the inclination for exploration then there is much that can be done to go well beyond the standard methods. Frank Peters

Subject Author
[gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Problem With Kernel 2.6.37 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Alsa Problem With Kernel 2.6.37 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>