From: Rob Lesslie <roblesslie@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Backup techniques Was: audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:30:19
1 There is another school of thought, which is that the time taken to
2 create and maintain this excellent, but overly elaborate, system for
3 the home user would be greater than the time taken to simply
4 re-install. I am not interested in a maintaining such a comprehensive
5 system at home - I am interested in using my computer to get things
6 done :)
7
8 Work, however, has different requirements (which I won't go into here)
9 but your method strikes me as being much more suited to that
10 environment. It provides much greater to scope to recover from
11 failures quickly and easily, and I can spend less time doing actual
12 work - a double win :>p
13
14 I fully agree that non-replaceable user data such as movies, music,
15 personal documents, photos, work etc should be backed up fully, both
16 to defend against hardware failure and stupid user syndrome. Backing
17 up of the entire system to this extent can be a waste of time for many
18 users. To clairfy, I am only talking about sensible requirments for a
19 HOME user. Personally, I have a shell script which uses rsync to
20 backup my home folder (and some other bits) to another box accross my
21 LAN. This has got me through one disk failure already :). It IS a
22 hassle to rebuild a system, but less so than to manage an overly
23 complex system.
24
25 Just my opinion as a humble Gentoo user.
26 --
27 Rob Lesslie
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list