From: Michael Ulm <michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Too much ~amd64 ?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:42:24
1 Our family computer has many different tasks to perform
2 and consequently has many packages emerged. Several of
3 these packages were not available for amd64 stable, so I
4 got the ~amd64 versions. This of course led to the need
5 to also pull in ~amd64 dependencies. And those dependencies
6 grow.
7
8 It seems like just about every time I do an
9
10 emerge --update --deep world
11
12 I have to change some package to ~amd64. At the moment, I have
13 more than 50 entries in my package.keywords file. Of course,
14 I didn't keep track which ebuilds I originally emerged using
15 ~amd64, and if some of them are now available in stable.
16
17 At the moment, I am considering the following paths
18
19 1) spending several hours checking out the ~amd64 packages I
20 emerged, to see if they are available in stable, and which
21 dependencies can then be brought back to amd64. As spare
22 time is a rather scarce resource for me, I don't want to do
23 this unless absolutely necessary
24
25 2) Go totally ~amd64. I am slightly worried about system
26 stability in this scenario. Every time the system hiccups
27 my wife tells me that this never happened in Windows...
28
29 3) Do nothing and hope for the best.
30
31 4) Go Kubuntu. I really like Gentoo, but if system administration
32 will take too much time, this may be my only path left :-(
33
34 So, I am asking for advice from the more experienced Gentooers
35 here. How do you deal with the ~amd64 packages?
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 Michael
43 Michael Ulm
44 R&D Team
45 ISIS Information Systems Austria
46 tel: +43 2236 27551-219, fax: +43 2236 21081
47 e-mail: michael.ulm@××××××××××××.com
48 Visit our Website: www.isis-papyrus.com
49
51 This e-mail is only intended for the recipient and not legally
52 binding. Unauthorised use, publication, reproduction or
53 disclosure of the content of this e-mail is not permitted.
55 no responsibility for malicious or inappropriate content.
59 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list