From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About gcc 4.1.1
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:24:37
1 On Thursday 31 August 2006 06:43, Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] About gcc 4.1.1':
3 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > > Yeah, but -march might be filtered by the ebuild and -mtune not; I
5 > > like using both of them. Similar to this, I have multiple -O flags in
6 > > my CFLAGS so the late non-filtered one is active.
7 >
8 > This is not an argument, because when filtering such stuff, we use
9 > 'replace-cpu-flags' which filters all of the -march/-mtune/-mcpu
10 > options. There's really no point in having them both.
11 >
12 > The same goes for the -O filtering.
13
14 Damn those pesky developers. ;)
15
16 When will they learn the solution is not to mask out CFLAGS it's to produce
17 a patch so the package works with the user's desired CFLAGS. :P
18
19 > So, to put it simple: You lost. :P
20
21 Standard Gentoo User Experience, I guess. ;) j/k.
24 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
25 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
26 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
27 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh