From: Edward Middleton <edward@××××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Root on Raid and LVM - Solved
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:17:11
>Anyway... it was quite cool to realize the 2.6 kernel handles partitioned >raid, now, and with direct boot-time kernel raid assembly, I could run >root on raid6 without an initrd/initramfs!
That is pretty cool that you recognize a partitioned raid at boot.
>As I was dreading the >complexity of an initrd solution, I grabbed the opportunity to avoid it >and still have a raid-backed root, when I saw it!
The initrd part of setup is easy if you use genkernel. The only issue I had was using an out of kernel driver but that can be handled by the --callback="emerge driver name" and adding the driver to /usr/share/genkernel/x86_64/modules_load You will also need to set lvmraid=[raid device] real_root=[lvm device] on your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst