From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Ffmpeg Emerge Problem
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 00:17:15
1 On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:49:01 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> Did you use that new script for setting the flags? I installed an
7 >> update of ffmpeg today on my i7 980X with no issues. Not sure if it's
8 >> the same version as I am replying from my Kindle.
11 > Do you mean that python script called "cpuinfo2cpuflags-x86."
12 >
13 > If so, I ran it and it recommended that the mmxext flag should be
14 > included in make,conf.
15 >
16 > But I didn't believe it because I knew that the Core i7 does not
17 > have mmxext (or mmx2). If it did, it would show up in /proc/cpuinfo.
18 >
19 > However, I could be missing something someplace.
20 >
21 > Frank Peters
25 OK, so I got back on the machine and I do have it in make.conf here:
26
27 mark@c2RAID6 ~ $ cat /etc/portage/make.conf | grep CPU_FLAGS
28 #CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 ssse3"
29 CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3"
30 mark@c2RAID6 ~ $
31
32 and I guess like you I do not see it in /proc/cpuinfo:
33
34 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
35 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
36 syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts
37 rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64
38 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2
39 popcnt aes lahf_lm ida arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
40 ept vpid
41
42 It appears more study is needed. I've had no problems, as best I can
43 tell, with ffmpeg and these settings.
44
45 Cheers,
46 Mark