From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] To multilib or Not to multilib!?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 01:26:51
1 On Sun, January 25, 2009 23:34, Tom wrote:
2 >>now wine is undergoing a big work on 64bit and i don't think that it
3 >>will take much to have it working. it has
4 >>configure options for 64bit builds but they sustain that 64bit code
5 >>need 64bit windows apps, that aren't
6 >>around.
7 >
8 > I've read about such work. But I'm not sure that 64bit wine would only
9 > be able to cope with 64bit windows apps.
10 >
11 > I can remember ages ago, I was able to have wine on my multilib system
12 > (at that time THAT was considered novel) this ment however, that I could
13 > no longer run 16bit windows apps.
14 > I had been using wine through a chroot at that time, it was the
15 > 'regular' 32bit version, and I was used to doing just that(running
16 > 16bit apps and 32bit apps).
17 >
18 > So my understanding would be that on a non-multilib system, a 'pure'
19 > 64bit build of wine, could still be able to run 32bit and 64bit windows
20 > apps, just not the old 16bit apps (support for which has long been gone
21 > anyway), similar to a 64bit windows does.
22 >
23 > But I don't really know...
24
25 Don't be fooled by this. That only means that wine is going to be able to
26 run win64 programs. It doesn't mean that wine can be compiled as an x86_64
27 binary. Wine is and will probably continue to be for a long time an x86
28 (32bit)
29 only program.
33 Jesús Guerrero