From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: recommended USE flags
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 08:50:46
1 On Saturday 12 August 2006 21:58, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Saturday 12 August 2006 22:45, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
3
4 > > His point is precisely that it's NOT useful enough.
5 >
6 > for him maybe.
7
8 But it is for most of us. I think the most important occasion of use of
9 use.desc is on first installation. That file is already quite large and
10 intimidating enough for the new user.
11
12 > > > concentrated in two files, you want the user to search all packages
13 > > > and read thousands of descriptions just to figure out if he wants the
14 > > > flag or not?
15 > >
16 > > grep can do that quite efficiently.
17 >
18 > you would still have thousands of descriptions, a lot of them redundand,
19 > as a big pile. There would be NO advantage doing this. Instead of a short
20 > explanation, you would get tons of useless text...
21
22 I agree here; what I'd like to see is just a bit more thought given to
23 use.desc, to offer a hint to the growing user as to what to expect to
24 happen. A simple G or L flag would go a long way towards this, but it would
25 be more helpful to rewrite most of the descriptions with the user's point
26 of view in mind. In particular, "Adds support for foo" should be expunged
27 entirely. IMHO.
30 Rgds
31 Peter
32 --