From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers,
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:06:37
1 Frank Peters posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:03:51 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > After reading this thread on the problems of the new KDE, I can only say
4 > that the best solution would be to abandon KDE entirely and choose
5 > something much simpler.
6
7 That's what many are doing. Under a bit different circumstances, I'd be
8 one of them, but it does still seem to be the best for me, even if it's
9 taking way more work than it should for the transition. Even then, there
10 are bits that I'm switching to non-kde alternatives for, like the hotkey
11 thing.
12
13 > But this is pure bunk. Using Openbox with a virtual desktop and the
14 > old-fashioned Midnight Commander file manager that runs in an X
15 > terminal,
16
17 Another mc fan. =:^) I use it for my sysadmin type work, and have highly
18 customized the user menu to that end. For ordinary user file management,
19 however, managing images and videos and that sort of thing, working with
20 preview-based icons is nice, and I still use kde tools for that. But
21 certainly gnome tools would work too, and possibly file roller, etc.
22 I've never tried them since I'm already using kde and might as well use
23 the kde solution since it's already there and working well... for the
24 tasks I use it for.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman