From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Pango problems
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:33:38
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
3 > 200611081519.37343.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
4 > on Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:19:37 +0100:
7 >> On Wednesday 08 November 2006 14:53, Mark Haney wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> I'm trying to update a system I have and Pango keeps dieing on compile.
10 >>> It's asking for libexpat.so.1, but I have expat installed and that file
11 >>> isn't there. I also tried compiling it without expat support and it
12 >>> still failed.
13 >>>
14 >>> Does someone have something else I can try?
15 >>>
16 >> (re)emerge expat 2.0
19 > ... And if that doesn't work, do a revdep-rebuild. Of course try a -p run
20 > first to get an idea of what it's going to rebuild. Something you have is
21 > still linked against an old libexpat, thus creating the issue. By
22 > unmerging or updating that, you should eliminate the problem, allowing
23 > pango to update in turn.
24 >
25 > Note that it's possible you'll have to update what you can, skipping
26 > packages that fail the first round, then try it again. expat is a widely
27 > used dependency, so you may have several layers of dependencies and have
28 > to loop the list multiple times, building what can be built each time
29 > while skipping what can't, until it's all done. That isn't normally
30 > necessary as revdep-rebuild should get the correct order, but sometimes it
31 > doesn't, for one reason or another. If that happens, continuing on with
32 > packages that will compile, then looping the loop to pick up the others,
33 > seems to work quite well, here.
36 Yeah, re-emerging expat-2.0 fixed it. Thanks guys. I thought I had
37 tried that earlier, but I must have been insane at the time.
41 Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.
42
43 Mark Haney
44 Sr. Systems Administrator
45 ERC Broadband