From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect opengl set xorg-x11 keeps breaking my headers
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:36:57
1 Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker@××××××.com> posted
2 1151449927.10564.2.camel@malory, excerpted below, on Wed, 28 Jun 2006
3 00:12:06 +0100:
4
5 > Despite no longer having the emulation libraries installed eselect keep
6 > screwing up my headers to point at 32 bit glx stuff. This obviously breaks
7 > various X related compiles.
8
9 What does equery belongs </path/to/32-bit-file> return? What video
10 drivers are you running?
11
12 If you are running slaveryware video drivers, equery belongs will probably
13 return them (assuming you merged them using portage, anyway). If it
14 returns nothing and you didn't manually (not using portage, so it doesn't
15 know about the file) install something using that file, it's likely safe to
16 delete it. Just to be safe, however, I'd rename it to *.2006.07.28.remove
17 (a month later) or something similar. Then after that date, if you've not
18 found anything broken, go ahead and remove it, as even if it /does/ break
19 something it can't be too critical if you've not used it once in 30 days.
20
21 > Does anyone know how I can stop it doing this? Unfortunately its called
22 > during the ebuild so I can't manually fix them and re-run the build.
23
24 Actually, that isn't entirely the case. See the Gentoo Handbook, Working
25 with Portage section, and the ebuild (1 and 5) manpages for some details,
26 but many Gentoo users have their own local overlays, where they copy
27 ebuilds and modify them as desired, then redigest and merge them. I
28 routinely do this with some packages, say to strip out a filterflags call
29 that was thrown in by the Gentoo maintainer due to some problem with some
30 subarchs of x86, where the flags in question work just fine on at least my
31 amd64, for instance. That's the beauty of having ebuilds that are
32 basically bash scripts -- they are easily modified by anyone who knows
33 bash -- the portage system was deliberately set up to allow this, and a
34 lot of work has gone into and will continue to go into ensuring that this
35 easy modifiability remains the case.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
45 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list