From: B Vance <bvance@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Nvidia blank screen
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 15:30:06
With Nvidia-drivers, the unstable are the best ones to use.  I'd try
using the most recent release (1.0.8178-r3) and the same for

Just as a note.. Make sure that you haven't accidentally put your
monitor resolution too high for it to show or at an incorrect Hz range.

B. Vance
On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 10:18 -0500, Spencer Ogden wrote:
> Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to find > any resent postings about similar problems. > > I have a fresh install of 2006.0 amd64 on a Gigabyte , which includes > onboard Nvidia video, calling itself a GeForce 6150. I am running > stable, with the 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 kernel. The nvidia-kernel driver > compiles and loads fine, version 1.0.6629-r5. > > This first problem was that loading the module does not create the > /dev/nvidia* nodes. Running /sbin/ fixed this. Are there > missing udev rules? The load event shows up in udevmonitor. > > That at least allowed X to try and load. Only now I get a blank screen, > which is totally unresponsive, even to Cntl-Alt-BS. Only a reset gets me > out of it (Can't kill X remotely). There are no mentions of problems in > the log. > > I have tried some of the random fixes mentioned on line including: > Option "NoRenderExtension" > Option "NvAGP" "1" or "0" > > But haven't made any progress. There have been many postings over the > years about blank screen on amd64 platforms, but none with recent > kernels and Nvidia driver versions. > > Are these known problems? Should I try the unstable versions? > > Thanks in advance, > > Spencer >
-- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Nvidia blank screen Spencer Ogden <spencer@××××××××××××.com>