From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: NVidia - advice!
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:48:36
Fernando Boaglio posted <ab2953b00601111137ob4bcc17j@××××××××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:37:17 -0200:

First, please don't use HTML when you send to this list. Many choose not to render HTML for security reasons. I'm told that with gmail, you can't disable the HTML option globally or for a specific address, only for each message. That's unfortunate, but as you can see, raw HTML doesn't look very nice, so please remember to do so. You are asking for advice. Here's mine. NVidia refuses to make available the specs necessary to support its cards properly with open source drivers. Therefore, I refuse to make available any of my cash for their cards. Unfortunately, ATI's newer cards are similar, but their older Radeon 9200 and 9250s have the specs available and consequently work decently well with open source drivers. The newer ones have reverse engineered drivers in the latest modular xorg (7.0), but it's still masked for testing on Gentoo, and even then, the drivers are still experimental anyway, not to mention they had to be reverse engineered so ATI isn't cooperating anyway. The choices for full open source support are Intel and Via, and ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250s (earlier versions are supported too, but the hardware isn't so great). You can of course choose to run the closed source drivers, but that doesn't encourage good citizenship on the part of the video card manufacturers, and risks system stability as well. Still, it's a choice many gamers choose to make. Apparently, for them, a few additional frames per second are worth more than their software freedom, but it's their choice. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: NVidia - advice! Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××××××××××××××.com>
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: NVidia - advice! Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: NVidia - advice! Martin Martinov <martinov@×××××××××.bg>