From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Boycott Systemd
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 02:34:27
1 On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:45:17 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> You can create device nodes using mknod, and I'd be
5 >> shocked if that ever went away.
8 > But now certain static USB nodes, in particular those for
9 > scanners, have been removed in favor of dynamic allocation
10 > using udev or its equivalents. When this happened I was
11 > certainly shocked, and it could be the beginning of a trend.
12
13 Fair point, although to some extent this reflects the nature of how
14 modern devices work. Back in the day you had a few serial/parallel
15 ports and you could tell which one was which because they all used
16 different IO ports or IRQs that were hard-coded into the designs. Now
17 you just have one USB host controller which is really the only actual
18 true hardware device on the system and everything that is hooked up to
19 it is virtualized. Plug-and-play really did away with the way device
20 nodes tended to work, and systems like udev are probably the cleanest
21 solution. I for one am happy that I haven't had to configure an IRQ
22 since the 90s.
26 >> Just what is it that you actually
27 >> need the kernel to do for you that you don't think will still be
28 >> around in 20 years? Linus is VERY conservative about removing system
29 >> calls.
32 > There are things which are not system calls that could easily be
33 > changed. It is not too far fetched to consider a time if and when
34 > systemd became so popular and entrenched that the kernel would be
35 > hard-coded to pass control only to systemd and nothing else.
36
37 That seems extremely unlikely. How many people ran anything other
38 than sysvinit as their init for the 15 years or so before upstart came
39 along? Making the kernel dependent on systemd would defeat the whole
40 purpose of having a separation between userspace and kernelspace.
44 >> If the whole world moves to systemd the biggest problem you'll have is
45 >> that you'll have to write your own service startup scripts, but from
46 >> the sound of things you're doing that anyway. Most of the services
47 >> you probably run aren't linux-exclusive either, so while it seems
48 >> likely that many will start reporting their status to systemd it seems
49 >> unlikely that they will refuse to work without it.
52 > There are a growing number of applications that will no longer compile
53 > without either dbus or udev. In fact, even though I don't use them,
54 > I had to install both eudev and dbus in order to be able to use certain
55 > applications (I just substituted a symlink to /bin/true in place of
56 > dbus-launch to keep that unnecessary daemon from starting).
57
58 Well, it seems likely that dbus will be a kernel module before long,
59 so it will be readily available. I'm sure there are plenty of
60 programs that don't work if you don't have any number of kernel
61 options disabled. Kdbus is viewed as the future standard mechanism
62 for linux inter-process communication, so programs relying on it
63 should be as surprising as programs that rely on ptys.
64
65 Much of the issue boils down to the linux world becoming more
66 complex/functional. Back when you could assume that your printer was
67 attached to a parallel port and spoke postscript things were simpler.
68 Today people want to plug in their USB headset and have the computer
69 know to use the USB headset for their teleconference and put the
70 output in the speakers when the phone rings. That just isn't going to
71 work with a world where you output a sound by directing a .au file to
72 a device node.
75 Rich