From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System becomes almost unusable when compling c++ code
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:12:29
1 On Freitag, 3. August 2007, Shaochun Wang wrote:
2 > Every time I compile C++ code, e.g. app-i18n/scim-qtimm,
3 > my desktop system becomes almost not
4 > interactive. I have already set PORTAGE_NICENESS="15" in
5 > /etc/make.conf.
6 >
7 > Any suggestion?
10 1) PORTAGE_NICENESS=19" is A LOT better.
11 read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sched-design.txt
12
13 here is the important part:
14 batch scheduling. A significant proportion of computing-intensive tasks
15 benefit from batch-scheduling, where timeslices are long and processes
16 are roundrobin scheduled. The new scheduler does such batch-scheduling
17 of the lowest priority tasks - so nice +19 jobs will get
18 'batch-scheduled' automatically. With this scheduler, nice +19 jobs are
19 in essence SCHED_IDLE, from an interactiveness point of view.
22 2) Maybe you need more ram?
23
24 free when you are compiling c++ stuff?
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list