From: Tonko <tonko.mulder@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Multilib or not?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:23:22
1 Let's just say that I would switch to the no-multilib profile. Would
2 it be enough to just change the profile and do a emerge @system @world
3 -auvDN ? Or are there more steps I need to take?
4
5 On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 > Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
7 > 1227247224.6358.3.camel@Gaius, excerpted below, on Fri, 21 Nov 2008
8 > 07:00:24 +0100:
9 >
10 >> I was wondering since flash has been released for x86_64 and simply
11 >> can't find a program on my laptop which uses emul-linux-x86-* If I could
12 >> just move to a no-multilib profile.
13 >>
14 >> As I've read, life get's easier with the no-multilib profile. :)
15 >
16 > The big question is whether you need anything 32-bit only, which is
17 > pretty much proprietary stuff. I'm on the no-multilib profile, but the
18 > question was easy for me since I don't do proprietaryware.
19 >
20 > In addition to flash, which should now cease to be a 32/64-bit issue,
21 > there's also various codecs, etc. While there's 64-bit options for many
22 > codecs (I've personally had better luck with xine-lib and its many USE
23 > flags than mplayer, YMMV) including normal wmv, DRMed formats (including
24 > DRMed wmv) and real can be problems. Specifically for xine-lib, the
25 > real, vidix and win32codecs USE flags are profile-masked because they are
26 > 32-bit only. IIRC there's a win64codecs package but I'm not sure of its
27 > status
28 >
29 > The other big problem would be proprietary games. If you prioritize
30 > being able to play them very highly, you'll almost certainly want to stay
31 > multilib.
32 >
33 > HOWEVER, it's worth noting that there *IS* an alternative 32-bit solution
34 > to multilib. It's more work, but in some ways it's truer to Gentoo's
35 > roots. This is the 32-bit chroot solution sometimes mentioned. With
36 > multilib, glibc and gcc (the big ones, also sandbox and binutils) are
37 > compiled for both 64-bit and 32-bit support, but pretty much everything
38 > else is installed from precompiled binaries. This includes all the emul-
39 > linux-x86-* libraries and the various *-bin executables (mozilla-firefox-
40 > bin, mplayer-bin, etc) packages. With a 32-bit chroot solution (for
41 > which there's Gentoo documentation if interested), you start from a
42 > standard x86 (32-bit) stage tarball and do much of a 32-bit installation
43 > as if from scratch, so after you're done you have almost an entire 32-bit
44 > installation paralleling your 64-bit installation (but missing system
45 > services like syslog, etc, since the 64-bit main system side provides
46 > those services, all compiled from sources, and you maintain them both as
47 > you normally would. As I said, rather more work, but it's certainly a
48 > valid option, and really, truer to the Gentoo norm of the user
49 > controlling as much as possible (while still automated) of the installed
50 > software, including the CFLAGS used to compile it and the dependencies
51 > (USE flags) it builds against. Multilib, while much less work, is both
52 > more complex to implement and much less under installed system sysadmin
53 > control.
54 >
55 > The main point in bringing up the 32-bit chroot option here, however, is
56 > to note that rejecting multilib doesn't /necessarily/ mean rejecting 32-
57 > bit on the system. Rather, multilib is the middle ground between no
58 > 32-bit support (no-multilib profile without the 32-bit chroot) and the
59 > full 32-bit chroot option with all the trimmings.
60 >
61 > Meanwhile, no-multilib has some serious benefits, regardless of whether
62 > you do the 32-bit chroot or not. Multilib being as it is, a mainly 64-
63 > bit system with 32-bit add-ons arranged to allow 32-bit to work as well
64 > as possible under the circumstances, it involves a number of compromises
65 > and is quite complex, complicating the system considerably. Regardless
66 > of whether one is keeping the 32-bit and 64-bit sides more cleanly
67 > separated by choosing a full 32-bit chroot on the one hand, or has
68 > decided they can do without 32-bit in general on the other, the result of
69 > choosing the no-multilib profile is a much cleaner layout, because the 64-
70 > bit side doesn't have to worry about 32-bit at all (with the single
71 > exception of the kernel's 32-bit emulation option). No double-compiling
72 > both the 32-bit and 64-bit parts of gcc or glibc in the same package
73 > means broken 32-bit can't block the successful completion and
74 > installation of the 64-bit package. From my experience, that alone is
75 > the biggest problem people have with those packages on multilib profiles,
76 > and a gcc or glibc that can't be upgraded is a HUGE problem that can be a
77 > lot of hassle to solve, so eliminating the single biggest cause of that
78 > is a BIG deal! No ld having both 32-bit and 64-bit library search paths
79 > to worry about and maintain, etc. Less complexity and removing the
80 > single biggest cause of broken gccs translates directly to less hassle
81 > maintaining your installation. =:^)
82 >
83 > As always, it's your system, so the decision is ultimately yours.
84 > There's serious tradeoffs, benefits and drawbacks to either multilib or
85 > nomultilib, 32-bit chroot or not, and no single solution is going to be
86 > best for everybody, but given a reasonable understanding of the benefits
87 > and drawbacks of each, most Gentoo/amd64 users should have little problem
88 > deciding what's best for their particular situation, based on just how
89 > much 32-bit they use and whether they prefer the less complex but more
90 > powerful 32-bit chroot or the less hassle multilib, should they decide
91 > they need to keep 32-bit support. Most but not all 32-bit-only programs
92 > are available only as binary-only proprietaryware, so how much of that
93 > you may use plays the biggest part in whether you need 32-bit or not, but
94 > there's still the occasional open source program that hasn't been ported
95 > yet, and of course for some usage, in-house-only apps that may not have
96 > been ported, and these may play some albeit increasingly small part in
97 > the consideration as well.
98 >
99 > --
100 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
101 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
102 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
110 Tonko