From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:09:53
1 On 9/20/05, Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Marco Matthies wrote:
3 > > You might want to investigate Ingo Molnar's realtime patches [1] (in
4 > > [snip]
5 >
6 > Hi Mark,
7 >
8 > apologies for not reading your other messages where you already said you
9 > had tried the rt-patches -- knowledge about them probably spread like
10 > wildfire in the audio community anyway, no need for me to spread old news...
11 >
12 > Marco
13
14 Not a problem. Others may not know.
15
16 Yes, I've been running versions of them since back in the 2.4 days.
17 Ingo's work has been great, as has Con Kolivas's. What has amazed me,
18 however, is that since coming to Gentoo and the Gentoo 2.6 kernels
19 I've not needed ANY patches to get great performance on my 32-bit
20 machines. I've been running the straight gentoo-sources at 5mS latency
21 or lower with no xruns. It's worked really well, at least for my
22 studio machines. I hope that one of these days soon I can do that with
23 my AMD64 machine also.
24
25 Chhers,
26 Mark