From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:02:55
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Frank Peters posted on Thu, 09 Dec 2010 10:36:29 -0500 as excerpted:
5 >> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:11:20 -0600
6 >> Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >>> I do have nvidia video cards. I assume the nvidia-drivers package will
11 >>> work fine with no-multilib? The way I am reading things it will but I
12 >>> do want drivers that work.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >> Don't forget about the stock nv driver that is supplied by Xorg. It may
17 >> not have 3D acceleration but it will perform very well for most common
18 >> activities. Both work as no-multilib.
19 >>
20 >> I set up my system in a way that allows me to start X with either the nv
21 >> or the proprietary nvidia driver. For normal activities, which is most
22 >> of the time, I use nv, but there are some occasions when I require the
23 >> full power of the proprietary nvidia.
24 >>
25 > FWIW and heads-up: The nv driver has been partially supported by nVidia
26 > in the past, mostly as a driver that can be run long enough for users to
27 > get to the nVidia site and download the nVidia driver. However, they've
28 > announced its deprecation, and that they won't be updating it any longer.
29 > Officially, nVidia says users can switch to the also unaccelerated vesa
30 > driver if needed, but they don't mention the nouveau driver. The word is,
31 > however, that the nouveau driver is already better than the nv driver and
32 > that distributions were starting to ship it anyway, to the point that it
33 > really didn't make that much sense for nVidia to continue supporting the nv
34 > driver.
35 >
36 > So do consider switching, at least as you upgrade. It's probably not
37 > ready to switch to for folks on 100% stable just yet, but as stable
38 > upgrades, it should be.
42 I'll keep that in mind. I have heard of the driver but been waiting on
43 it to "develop" some more. It looks to me like nvidia would just give
44 out some specs and let the community do it. They could always tell them
45 what they can't release publicly to keep the competition from getting a
46 heads up.
47
48 I have a fellow Gentooer that sent me a video card. The word snail mail
49 is coming to mind. With the holidays and all, it may be next week
50 before it gets here. I went to a local puter shop and picked up a used
51 ATI card to do the install with. I'm going to run memtest and such
52 first anyway. I just hope this card will work well enough for this. I
53 have never used a ATI card before. If it can put text on the screen for
54 me, I'm happy.
55
56 Funny thing is, the guy shipped the video card two or three days before
57 Newegg shipped the DVD drive. UPS will be here very shortly with the
58 DVD drive. lol I told you snail mail was coming to mind here. lol
59
60 Hoping to get started here shortly.
61
62 Dale