From: Sylvain Alain <d2_racing@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Where is '@system'?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 03:05:55
1 Hi guys, I talked with my friend Zac Medico and your @system is mostly here :
2
3 /usr/portage/profiles/base
4
5 Have fun :P
9 From: d2_racing@×××××××.com
10 To: zmedico@g.o
11 Subject: FW: [gentoo-amd64] Where is '@system'?
12 Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 02:22:32 +0000
21 Hi Zac, can you reply to the gentoo-amd64@l.g.o and close that thread :P
22
23 Thanks
24
25 Salut
26 alp
31 > Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:44:36 -0800
32 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Where is '@system'?
33 > From: markknecht@×××××.com
34 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
35 >
36 > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Paul Hartman
37 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
38 > > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
39 > >> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Paul Hartman
40 > >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
41 > >>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
42 > >>>> I would like emerge -epv @system to be a fairly contained set of
43 > >>>> packages. (If possible like it was when I first built the system a
44 > >>>> mere 5 weeks ago...) It seems out of control on my system these days
45 > >>>> as it wants to emerge 242 packages. One major contributor is not using
46 > >>>> a global -cups use flag in make.conf which would reduce it to 178.
47 > >>>> That was added to figure out why Gnome didn't see Sups printers at
48 > >>>> all. Sure, I would then have to turn on cups for certain packages but
49 > >>>> that's OK with me. However I still see cairo, icedtea-bin, virtual
50 > >>>> java stuff, alsa-libs, and a bunch of x11-proto files so it doesn't
51 > >>>> feel like @system stuff to me
52 > >>>>
53 > >>>> 1) Where is the 'system' or '@system' specification on my machine?
54 > >>>>
55 > >>>> 2) If you folks run emerge -epv @system then how machine packages do you see?
56 > >>>
57 > >>> I believe it all depends on the profile you're using. If you're using
58 > >>> a desktop profile maybe that's why it's calling in GUI toolkits and
59 > >>> stuff...
60 > >>>
61 > >>
62 > >> Thanks Paul. I hadn't thought of that and I think you're correct. I
63 > >> played a bit with changing profiles and then looking at what emerge
64 > >> -epv @system would or would not do. It's clearly related.
65 > >>
66 > >> In the end I wonder if this is a lost cause? If the packages I run
67 > >> really require these flags then they are all going to get built the
68 > >> same way. I'd prefer that @system was simple and that @world showed
69 > >> how I had changed the system to meet my needs, but I'm not sure it's
70 > >> worth the effort at this point to get there.
71 > >
72 > > Looking in the current desktop profile, it shows this:
73 > >
74 > > USE="a52 aac acpi alsa branding cairo cdr dbus dts dvd dvdr eds emboss
75 > > encode evo fam firefox flac gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal jpeg kde
76 > > ldap libnotify mad mikmod mng mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pdf png ppds
77 > > qt3support qt4 quicktime sdl spell svg thunar tiff truetype vorbis
78 > > win32codecs unicode usb X x264 xml xulrunner xv xvid"
79 > >
80 > > So support for things like gnome, gtk, kde and qt4 are there by
81 > > default. I guess you could take the above list, put a - in front of
82 > > the ones you don't think you want and put it in make.conf and see what
83 > > happens. :)
86 > Yeah, that's interesting and to some extent anyway probably involved
87 > with why I'm getting a lot of the package I get. What I'm not
88 > understanding yet is what packages themselves are in @system. Where do
89 > those come from? I'm assuming that because of all these flags some
90 > system packages then require more and more support packages as an
91 > avalance, but I'm not understanding what list of packages gets the
92 > whole things started.
93 >
94 > @world is /var/lib/portage/world.
95 >
96 > @system is ?
97 >
98 > Thanks,
99 > Mark
102 Live connected with Messenger on your phone Learn more.
104 IM on the go with Messenger on your phone
105 http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9712960