From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cannot emerge gcc-3.4.5
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:23:12
1 Stanislaw Jesmanowicz posted
2 <9ac0Doti.1144677597.7145800.stan@××××××××××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
3 on Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:59:57 +0200:
4
5 > Thank you (all) for quick reply.
6 >
7 > Setting IA32 emulation in the kernel solved the problem.
8
9 =8^)
10
11 > But it surprise me quite a lot ...
12 > I am using Gentoo on AMD64 boxes for 2 years already, and this is the
13 > first time that holds me from smooth update.
14 > What if I wanted to run strict AMD64 executables only ?
15
16 If you didn't want or need 32-bit compatibility, you could use the
17 nomultilib subprofiles. These are 64-bit only.
18
19 > It also reminds me a nuisance - grub doesn't execute on running amd64
20 > system:
21 > file /sbin/grub
22 > /sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
23 > GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
24
25 Correct. For backward compatibility reasons, amd64 boots in 32-bit mode.
26 Actually, I believe it boots in 16-bit real-mode, but it's still handled
27 by the 32-bit executable format. It switches to 64-bit mode after loading
28 the kernel, if a 64-bit kernel is loaded, of course.
29
30 However, with 32-bit enabled in the kernel, you should find that grub will
31 now execute.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
37 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
41 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list