From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: scons build failure
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:51:04
1 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
2 5bdc1c8b0810201820p1ca163b7re5099f72863c0b34@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:20:48 -0700:
4
5 > `/usr/portage/distfiles/scons-1.0.0.tar.gz' saved [541330/541330]
6 >
7 > * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
8 > * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
9 > * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
10 > * checking scons-1.0.0.tar.gz ;-) ... [ ok ]
11 >>>> Unpacking source...
12 >>>> Unpacking scons-1.0.0.tar.gz to
13 >>>> /var/tmp/portage/dev-util/scons-1.0.0/work Source unpacked.
14 > * The ebuild phase 'unpack' has exited unexpectedly. This type
15 > * of behavior is known to be triggered by things such as
16 > * failed variable assignments (bug #190128) or bad substitution
17 > * errors (bug #200313).
18 >
19 > * Messages for package dev-util/scons-1.0.0:
20
21 You know, it'd be nice if they made those messages fit to about 72 chars,
22 the standard for posting, so they didn't wrap all wrong when posted and
23 requoted... Redone above...
24
25 As Justin says, it works fine here, but that's not much consolation if
26 it's not working for you.
27
28 I took a look at the ebuild... and it didn't have its own src_unpack
29 function... so I checked the eclasses it inherits. Viola! In
30 distutils.eclass it does a generic unpack (which appears to have worked,
31 it's what outputs that "unpacking <pkg> to <workdir>" bit), then CDs into
32 the temporary build dir ($S, $WORKDIR/$P, $P being the package name and
33 version, sans revision, according to the ebuild 5 manpage), rms the
34 existing ez_setup* scripts and creates its own ez_setup.py script.
35
36 The created ez_setup python script isn't actually executed until the
37 compile section, which you never get to. The problem would therefore
38 seem to be either in the call to unpack but after the "unpacking <pkg> to
39 <dir>" message, in the CD (which shouldn't normally fail as it's CDing to
40 a normal subdir using a standard var, $S, which shouldn't be empty), in
41 the rm (which shouldn't fail either), or in the echo creating
42 ez_setup.py, which shouldn't fail either!
43
44 What version of portage are you running? FWIW, I'm running the 2.2-rcs,
45 specifically portage-2.2_rc12, the latest ~amd64 version as of my sync
46 less than 24 hours ago. As I said, it works fine.
47
48 I just did a quick bug scan for dev-util/scons, and came up with nothing
49 that looked interesting.
50
51 What I'd try at this point is editing distutils.eclass, putting in some
52 debug echoes to see exactly which line caused it to bail, and what the
53 vars it used were set to at the time. If that's not your thing, it's
54 likely time to file a bug. As I said, I don't see any for scons (fixed
55 or not) that look related, so whatever the bug is, it doesn't seem to be
56 hitting many people. It's probably something to do with your config, but
57 the question is what? Unless you can do a bit more debugging yourself,
58 filing a bug and having the devs look at it seems to be the next step.
63 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman