From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] gcc-4.0.1 compiled glibc-2.3.5.20050722, SUCCESS! Was: broken (32bit) glibc ?
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:27:24
1 Duncan posted <pan.2005.08.05.11.17.40.751083@×××.net>, excerpted below,
2 on Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:17:41 -0700:
3
4 > ... I'm thinking about trying the latest, newer snapshot, with (now)
5 > gcc-4.0.1. I haven't done so yet, and of course if I did, I'd keep the
6 > other versions in binpkg form, since the snapshot is still hard-masked.
7
8 FWIW, I did just that. I'm now running a gcc-4.0.1 compiled
9 glibc-2.3.5.20050722. One more thing working with gcc4! Woohoo!
10
11 I /did/ have to modify one of the Gentoo patches, the pro-police-guard
12 patch, I believe it was. That patch adds the -fno-stack-protector flag,
13 recognized by gcc-3.4.4, but not gcc-4.0.1. After that, it compiled fine,
14 and didn't give me the non-working 32-bit shared libraries I got with the
15 earlier snapshot.
16
17 I haven't looked at the gcc ebuilds to verify, but I'm guessing the
18 pro-police stack-protector (and therefore the normal default no- flag that
19 would turn it off if a hardened profile enabling it by default was in use)
20 stuff isn't in the default gcc-3.4.x either, but rather a patch added by
21 the ebuild. gcc4 hasn't gotten to the point yet where hardened is looking
22 at it much, so the equivalent patches haven't been added there, yet, so
23 gcc4 ebuilds don't recognize the stack-protector flags.
24
25 I'm not running hardened, so didn't need the flag turning the
26 stack-protector off. However, I tried compiling without the patch
27 entirely, and while it worked for most things, it triggered the old
28 __guard symbol errors in xorg bug from about a year ago, so I had to
29 recompile with the patch, but just with the one line adding the
30 -fno-stack-protector flag to CFLAGS commented out.
31
32 All in all, due to a couple fat-fingerings/fat-headings on my part (like
33 forgetting I had gcc-config-ed back to gcc-3.4.4, and doing an entire
34 glibc recompile with 3.3.4 when I wanted 4.0.1! <grr>!), I must have
35 recompiled glibc about four times, yesterday! I was sure putting my dual
36 Opterons to use yesterday! <g>
37
38 OTOH, I found yet another package that doesn't yet like gcc4, as well.
39 util-linux emerges fine with gcc4, which is why I hadn't noticed it b4,
40 but I tried running cfdisk, and it segfaulted every single time I tried to
41 load my hard drive! Interestingly enough, it worked fine as a user (that
42 is, it protested about device access permissions and quit, as one would
43 expect trying to run it as a user), and even worked just fine when I
44 mistakenly pointed it at my DVD burner with a burnt DVD+R loaded (well it
45 said read-only mode, but I wouldn't have expected it to work on the DVD at
46 all, and it did), but it'd segfault every time I tried to point it at my
47 hard drive, as root so it could actually read it. I run 100% reiserfs
48 formatted hard drive partitions, however, and I'm guessing its reiserfs
49 code isn't gcc4 safe, just yet, tho as I said it emerged fine. Since it
50 worked with ISO9660 (surprising me), I'm guessing it probably works with
51 the more common ext2/3 as well. It certainly doesn't like reiserfs, tho,
52 when compiled with gcc4! As expected, recompiling it with gcc-3.4.4
53 worked just fine. (In fact, it was after that remerge that I forgot I had
54 gcc-3.4.4 selected and did the entire glibc with gcc-3.4.4 instead of the
55 gcc-4.0.1 I had intended!)
56
57 So anyway... with gcc4 now working on glibc, it shouldn't be all /that/
58 much longer until Gentoo starts supporting gcc-4.x. This is fairly
59 significant here, since Gentoo amd64 was one of the first to
60 officially support gcc-3.4, and will likely be one of the first to support
61 gcc-4.x as well, particularly since gcc support for amd64 is still
62 maturing and thus new versions bringing more improvements than they do for
63 the mature x86(32) arch. However, there are certainly still /other/
64 packages that need some attention, before that happens, util-linux
65 obviously being one of them. That said, I've been rather surprised at how
66 much already /does/ work with gcc4. Nearly my entire system, including
67 all of the KDE (which had problems with gcc4 early on) I have installed,
68 is now compiled with gcc4. I haven't kept precise track, but could
69 probably count on one hand and certainly could count on two, the number of
70 packages where the currently merged version has gcc4 issues that I've run
71 into.
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
77 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
81 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list