From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] linux32 or chroot
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:37:45
sean wrote:
> So would a chroot environment perhaps help with the problem apps? > I am sure I am not the first on this path, so how have some you done who > have tried these games?
I've always found that the chroot just makes things work easier. Yes, you have a large investment period (creating the chroot), but in the end I've *always* found that it works better than trying to get the 32 bit emul-* libraries to work under x86_64. Some programs mistakenly try and link to the 64-bit libs first, even if the 32-bit libs are available. I've had to create nasty LD_LIBRARY_PATH statements, and mess around with the order in to get things to semi work. Yes, this is also a shameless plug, but you will soon find that doing this to get into your chroot as your normal user: $ sudo linux32 chroot /home/32-bit su - user1 -c id starts to get very tiring... Because of that, I created a utility that combines the code of those commands into one command. One problem though.. /home/32-bit is hard-coded in my utility, I wasn't able to come up with a secure way to read that parameter from a config file - and still keep the source small. Here's the bugzilla for it: and here's a snippet from my web page about it: The ebuild is also in the archive. Another thing to note about 32-bit chroots: in my 32-bit chroot, I've created symlinks from the main /home/ for all the users directories to point into the 32-bit chroot, I also bound /tmp (mount -bind) into the 32-bit chroot, as well as the root home directory /root. This gives me the advantage of switching in and out of the chroot, while still giving the illusion that I'm in the same home directory and same /tmp - and X clients that use unix pipes to communicate to the X server still work as well. -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-amd64] linux32 or chroot Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk>
Re: [gentoo-amd64] linux32 or chroot Nuitari <nuitari@××××××××××××××××.net>