From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Updating/ recompiling system
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 00:26:22
1 Vasiliy Golubev <vas@×××××××××.ru> posted
2 200609020129.57782.vas@×××××××××.ru, excerpted below, on Sat, 02 Sep 2006
3 01:29:57 +0400:
4
5 > You have to recompile whole world after upgrading gcc and/or glibc. To
6 > do this you need (after gcc and/or glibc upgraded) do emerge -e world.
7 > At least it's a good idea to read this:
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
9
10 I've /never/ done an emerge -e world after a glibc upgrade, nor do I
11 believe it's needed. After a major gcc upgrade, it may or may not be
12 needed, but it's a good idea in any case, since you should get better
13 optimizations out of it. (Major in this case is either 3.x to 4.x, major
14 version, or 4.1 to 4.2, minor version. It shouldn't be needed for micro
15 version, 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 say.)
16
17 Note that C++ is more sensitive than C, in terms of program language,
18 since C++ has a library, libstdc++, that's part of the gcc package, and is
19 actively changing with new gcc versions. C programs are much less
20 sensitive and often still work where C++ programs stop.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list