From: David Fellows <fellows@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Now I have a problem with l32 too
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:22:10
2 > > if you can. That's how mine is setup. it could be an ~/.Xauthority issue...
3 > > --
4 > > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
8 > OK, but before I do that I still have not created users in the
9 > chroot'ed environment. Should I do that before I share the /home? I
10 > know you Linux gurus totally get this stuff but I worry about creating
11 > a user killing an existing setup or something like that. Also, do I
12 > need to make sure user IDs, groups, passwords are consistent between
13 > the two environments?
14
15 Yes - for your sanity. For just one or two users you might just use
16 useradd inside the chroot and give it the same parameters as in 64 land.
17 Here's the command I used when I set my personal chroot up a year or so ago
18 (from my notes)
19 useradd -g 1006 -u 1006 -G 5,10,11,16,18,19,100 fellows
20 passwd fellows
21 Obviously you have to use your uid, gid an groups list values.
22
23 I quickly decided I did not want to use the sam personal home directory for
24 both environments. So I did this (again from my notes)
25 I created on 64 /home/fellows/home32, copied ~/{.bashrc,bash_profile, .ssh}
26 to it. On 32 I did
27 usermod -d /home/fellows/home32 fellows
28 to make a different home directory
29
30 This way I could do selective sharing by means of copying or symlinks yet keep
31 32 and 64 bit versions of programs from using the same "dot" files.
32
33 Dave F
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list