From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: upgrade an old system
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 00:28:23
1 On Wednesday 06 May 2009 14:37:59 Sami Näätänen wrote:
2
3 > IMHO You shouldn't use tmpfs for the PM temp dir, until you can give that
4 > around 2GB, which shouldn't be more than half of your total memory.
5
6 I can't endorse this. I have 4 GB physical RAM on this box, and I have this
7 line in /etc/fstab:
8
9 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=6g 0 0
10
11 It works well. Whenever the kernel needs more than the currently available
12 physical RAM it uses the swap partitions to make the extra space (4 x 2 GB
13 on different drives, though that's far more than I need). That doesn't
14 happen often - mostly only when OpenOffice is being compiled. Oh, and I run
15 BOINC programs all the time too, and those are somewhat profligate with
16 memory.
19 Rgds
20 Peter