From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Managing CPU usage when doing emerges
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:44:10
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I'll just echo what Duncan said about nice / ionice. However, you might
4 >> find the impact of ionice -c 3 on compilation is reduced if you use a tmpfs
5 >> for /var/tmp/portage. Note that depending on what you're building you might
6 >> need a fairly large tmpfs, and it could trigger swapping.
7 >
8 > I agree, I use /dev/shm (4gigs) for my portage tmpdir and it has had a
9 > bigger noticeable speed impact than ccache or niceness, and the
10 > silence of zero disk activity (other than reading the distfiles in the
11 > unpack stage and installing the compiled files) is nice, too.
14 I would do this, however, my problem is (or was) RAM. Until yesterday I
15 had only 1GB RAM in this laptop. Now I have doubled it which is the max
16 it will support (it's 4 years old). I don't think 2GB is worth trying a
17 tmpfs for.
21 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
22
23 Mark Haney
24 Sr. Systems Administrator
25 ERC Broadband