From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] kernel 2.6.16-rc1, rc2 (vanilla), no keyboard (atkbd)!
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:29:09
1 Has anyone else gotten either kernel 2.6.16-rc1 or rc2 successfully
2 working? I haven't been able to get either one going. I forgot what the
3 problem was with the first one for sure, but just spend several hours
4 trying to massage -rc2 into working, without success.
5
6 -rc2 compiles and boots, but without a working keyboard driver!
7
8 What's strange is that the standard driver, atkbd, is and has
9 been dependent on !x86-pc for some time (it is in .15, anyway, which
10 works), but only with .16 is there now an x86-pc config option enabled to
11 kill it (there wasn't in .15), which it does -- the option disappears from
12 menuconfig entirely!
13
14 However, hacking Kconfig to get the atkbd option back and enable it does
15 nothing! The driver does get compiled and I can see all 54 atkbd entries
16 in the .15 systemmap in .16's as well, so it's there, but the thing simply
17 won't work!
18
19 As I said, the x86-pc config option is new to .16. It's a sub-arch
20 choice, the only other one being Intel emt64 specific. While I have an
21 AMD Opteron, not an Intel, I thought I'd try it. It doesn't seem to have
22 much effect. The atkbd driver still won't work! (The emt64 thing
23 probably just causes a bit of extra code bloat on AMD, with code that
24 isn't ever run, would be my guess. Regardless, it does remove the blocker
25 on the atkbd config option and allow me to choose it, but doing so doesn't
26 result in a working driver, unfortunately.)
27
28 I thought it might be related to the fact that I was compiling it with the
29 latest (0210) gcc-4.1 snapshot, so I reverted to 4.0.2, but that didn't
30 solve the issue either, and I suspect it's something bigger, having to do
31 with the disappeared driver option in the config, in any case.
32
33 The worst of the problem is that of course every single time I test it,
34 it's a double-reboot, once to the kernel that STILL won't work, then back
35 to a working kernel to try something else, or now, to give up for awhile
36 and post this question seeing whether others on amd64 and running the
37 kernel.org -rcs, or trying to, have come across the problem or know
38 anything about it. Fortunately, I /can/ shut down gracefully, because
39 altho the keyboard's locked, I have one of the triple-click commands on
40 gpm set to init 0, and the mouse works just fine and executes the
41 triple-click to shutdown safely. One can't get very far, particularly at
42 an unlogged-in VT, with only a mouse, however, and no keyboard to login or
43 do anything besides the three triple-click commands available on the
44 mouse! It comes up so I can look at it, and I can shut down, but that's
45 about it, and that's just enough to get good and frustrated at the login
46 proompt you can see but not touch! =8^(
47
48 I'll do a google on it and check kernel bugs as well, but haven't yet.
49 Just wondering if anyone else has run into it, and already knows a
50 solution, or at least can confirm that it's not just me!
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
56 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
60 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list