From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 3.5.2-r1 emerged Issue!
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:32:38
1 On Tuesday 23 May 2006 14:40, Hamish Marson wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Friday 12 May 2006 19:16, Duncan wrote:
4 > >> You hit the infamous libexpat bug!
5 > >
6 > > I did too, and after several attempts to get revdep-rebuild to fix
7 > > the problem I gave up and reinstalled from scratch. Now I can't get
8 > > arts to run - it gobbles 95% CPU from when I log in to when artsd
9 > > gets killed on a cpu overload. I've raised a bug on this.
10 >
11 > Infamous expat bug? Would this be where you update libexpat because
12 > something wants the later verison & then everythig fails because it
13 > can't find libexpat.0?
14 >
15 > Grr... I hit that last night... I'm still running an emerge -D world
16 > to re-install everything (Since revdep-rebuild failed for me).
17
18 What you can do to keep a useable system in the meantime is to create a
19 symbolic link from "/usr/lib/libexpat.so.1" to "/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0". As
20 the ABI did not actually change this is sufficient to keep things working
21 while you recompile the stuff.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze