From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: cupsd wont start on boot.
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 05:52:41
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 44D352E7.5070907@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Fri, 04 Aug 2006
3 10:00:07 -0400:
4
5 > I'm having a bizarre issue with cupsd. On boot I get a 'Child exited
6 > status 99!' error. After boot, when I use /etc/init.d/cupsd start, it
7 > doesnt' start. However, if I rip the exact line from the init.d script to
8 > start cupsd, it starts just fine.
9 >
10 > What's going on?
11
12 If it's the exact same line both places, one works, the other doesn't,
13 it's almost certainly due to the difference in environment. The
14 environment passed to the one started from initscript will be rather more
15 limited than a fully interactive bash prompt environment.
16
17 I'd suggest you put a debug statement in the initscript, right before the
18 command executes, that prints the environment to one file and the exported
19 environment to another. Diff those against the same output from the
20 command line that works right, and you'll have a good start on tracking
21 down the culprit, since you'll have all the differences nicely listed, in
22 ordered to check.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list