From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] dvdrw drive not visible
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 00:19:54
1 On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 22:02 +0000, Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
2 > When I boot off the live CD there is a /dev/hda /dev/cdrom /dev/cdrw
3 > /dev/dvd /dev/dvdrw etc & it works just fine.
4 >
5 > When I boot off my kernel there are no such devices & I can't use the drive.
6 >
7 > This is the same drive as in my old system, which just worked with no
8 > tweaking before.
9 >
10 > Obviously I am missing some driver, yet I have grovelled thru
11 > menuconfig to no avail.
12 > Google turns up many similar problems, however none have been helpful.
13 >
14 > If I boot off the live cd, is there a way to see what options I need?
15 >
16 > The drive shows as "PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109" on the live cd.
17 >
18 if you have evdev support in your kernel, and dbus and hald in the boot
19 or default run level, your cd/dvd should automount in /media.
20 If you have gone with the current kernel trend it will be /dev/sr0 (sr_
21 something anyway) all hard drives will be sd_ and there will be no hd_.
22 Aliasing will probably allow you to umount /dev/sr0 and then
23 mount /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom. Easier to go with the flow and leave cd/dvd
24 out of fstab and up to auto.