From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Hurray! Radeon KMS in 2.6.31
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:15:37
1 As I've mentioned a couple times recently, I run direct Linus kernel
2 git. Previously I've waited until rc2 or so before trying the new
3 development kernel, but I got bored and decided to try following the
4 kernel even in the merge window this time.
5
6 Sometime in the last 24 hours or so, Linus merged the Radeon KMS (kernel
7 mode setting) code! I've been looking forward to this for a couple
8 versions now, so am glad it's finally here!
9
10 Presently, it's only thru the Radeon r5xx chip series, so thru the model
11 x1950 cards. They'll add the newer r6xx/r7xx chips (beyond x1950 and the
12 hd* cards) later.
13
14 Of course I'm not actually running kms yet, as my X userspace isn't new
15 enough (I don't think, AFAIK the xorg-server-1.6.1.901-r3 that I'm
16 running should support it, but the xf86-video-ati-6.12.2 doesn't yet, I'd
17 need the -9999 live git version for that, and would probably need to
18 match it with the live-git xorg-server-9999 as well), so I've not enabled
19 the kernel's radeon-kms-by-default option, which appears under the
20 staging drivers for the moment. But it's in the kernel mainline now, and
21 I'm running that kernel (2.6.30-6553-g65795ef) with no general observed
22 issues ATM.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman