From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Terminal resizes very slowly
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:32:38
1 Hello,
2 I first noticed this as I started playing around a bit with XFCE on
3 my AMD64 machine. The environment is nice and has most of what I might
4 look for in a post-Gnome world, but the default terminal resizes VERY
5 slowly. It can take a few seconds to drag the lower right corner.
6 There are no speed problems moving the terminal around, only resizing
7 it. It doesn't matter if I enable or disable transparency.
8
9 The executable is /usr/bin/Terminal. The default terminal in Gnome
10 is /usr/bin/gnome-terminal which is fast for resizing. Both terminals
11 have identical results whether I'm running Gnome of XFCE.
12
13 I doubt it matters but glxgears is fast enough - about 2K
14 Frames/second, but I suspect that's not a measure that matters.
15
16 How would I determine what the root cause of this problem is? I
17 presume it's not the actual code of Terminal but rather some sort of
18 machine configuration issue.
19
20 VGA is an ATI R300 family device running the radeon driver. Not
21 sure what matters in the kernel config so let me know what to look for
22 and I'll report back on that. xorg.conf is pasted below. There are no
23 error messages and only a couple of warnings in the Xorg.0.log file.
24 Maybe I need to enable something in there that I don't know about or
25 something simple like that?
26
27 Thanks,
28 Mark
33 lightning ~ # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
34 Section "Module"
35 Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
36 SubSection "extmod"
37 Option "omit xfree86-dga" # don't initialise the DGA extension
38 EndSubSection
39 Load "glx"
40 Load "dri"
41 EndSection
42
43 Section "Files"
44 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
45 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
46 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
47 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
48 FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
49 EndSection
50
51 Section "ServerFlags"
52 EndSection
53
54 Section "InputDevice"
55 Identifier "Keyboard1"
56 Driver "kbd"
57 Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
58 Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
59 Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
60 Option "XkbLayout" "us"
61 EndSection
62
63 Section "InputDevice"
64 Identifier "Mouse1"
65 Driver "mouse"
66 Option "Protocol" "Auto" # Auto detect
67 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
68 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
69 EndSection
70
71 Section "Monitor"
72 Identifier "My Monitor"
73 HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
74 VertRefresh 50-75
75 EndSection
76
77 Section "Device"
78 Identifier "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
79 Driver "radeon"
80 EndSection
81
82 Section "Screen"
83 Identifier "Screen 1"
84 Device "** ATI Radeon (generic) [radeon]"
85 Monitor "My Monitor"
86 DefaultDepth 16
87
88 Subsection "Display"
89 Depth 16
90 Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
91 ViewPort 0 0
92 EndSubsection
93 Subsection "Display"
94 Depth 24
95 Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
96 ViewPort 0 0
97 EndSubsection
98 EndSection
99
100 Section "ServerLayout"
101
102 Identifier "Simple Layout"
103 Screen "Screen 1"
104 InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
105 InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
106 EndSection
107
108 Section "DRI"
109 Mode 0666