From: Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Read/write Access on ext4 disk
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:51:44
1 > > Hi,
2 > >
3 > > what is needed for read/write access on ext4 disk ?
4 > >
5 > > My current fstab entry:
6 > >
7 > > /dev/mapper/hate /mnt/hate ext4 noatime,noexec,nodev,noauto,user 0
8 > > 0
9 >
10 > Should work. Mine is similar:
11 >
12 > /dev/mapper/cryptoraid /mnt/raid ext4
13 > defaults,noatime,noauto,user_xattr 0 0
14 >
15 > (I'm not an authority and my options could be stupid, but it works)
16 >
17 > I think if you have permission, the partition is clean (properly
18 > unmounted), it should be read/write unless you tell it otherwise.
19
20 Whats user_xattr ??
21
22 Anyway, if my entry 'should' work, do I maybe just need to chmod the
23 /mnt/hate dir?? I seem to recall needing todo something like this in
24 the past...
25
26 Seeing that you are also dealing with an encrypted volume, it the drive
27 a fixed or portable one?
28
29 Here I have an usb-drive, with one partition encrypted. After posting, I
30 plugged it in, only to be greeted by a 'encrypted volume detected'
31 message, with a password promt. I don't use gnome or kde,so I was quite
32 surprised. (I use thunar).
33
34 Anyway, I figured that it would take care of
35 mounting the thing (it being hal) making my fstab entry irrelevant.
36
37 However, I wasn't able to test, cause for what ever reason, my password
38 does not get accepted, neither at this promt, nor when doing this
39 manually. Has this ever happened to you?? I'm 100% certain that I'm not
40 misstyping, and I 100% wrote the password down correctly... :(
41 No data lost, as I was still setting things up, but this is quite
42 shocking...
43
44 Tom