From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] long boot time with network cable
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 04:51:26
1 On 8/27/06, Chris Forsyth <chris.forsyth@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I merge ifplugd, I rebooted and it still took forever for the dchp
3 > timeout. I then tried emerging the netplug and it also didn't help? Did
4 > I need update a config file somewhere?
5
6 There should be no confg file to edit...current versions of baselayout
7 should automatically recognize that you have ifplugd installed and use
8 it to determine when an interface is not connected.
9
10 Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly when that got added to
11 baselayout...check if fyou have /lib/rcscripts/net/ifplugd.sh.
12
13 Note that you can defeat this with the "modules" setting in
14 /etc/conf.d/net. If you are specifying a modules line, you will need
15 to add "ifplugd" to that.
16
17 If it is working, you should see ifplugd running in ps auwx output,
18 and also have a /var/run/ifplugd.eth0.pid.
19
20 It is also possible that eth0 is being activated too early in your
21 startup. Is this right after starting udev, or later on in the boot
22 sequence? If it is too early, you may need to modify /etc/conf.d/rc
23 to have RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*"
24
25 HTH,
26 -Richard