From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 2.6.16 and >=4G mem
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:53:31
1 On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:14:55 -0700
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Meanwhile, with the iommu=soft switch, I can run 2.6.16 kernels with
5 > full memory, just as I could .15 kernels.
6
7 Do you know of any other issues with memory and or amd64 and the 2.6.16
8 series? I have run into a weird issue.
9
10 I have an AMD64 3200+ that runs at 2 GHz and runs *very* cool at about
11 34c. My motherboard makes it pretty easy to overclock so I have
12 overclocked the 3200+ to 2.2 GHz and it has been running very stable
13 and still only around 39c, though a long compile job did get it to 41c.
14
15 When I was runing overclocked in 2.6.15 cat /proc/cpuinfo would show:
16
17 jim@keelie$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
18 processor : 0
19 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
20 cpu family : 15
21 model : 47
22 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
23 stepping : 2
24 cpu MHz : 2200.000
25 cache size : 512 KB
26 fdiv_bug : no
27 hlt_bug : no
28 f00f_bug : no
29 coma_bug : no
30 fpu : yes
31 fpu_exception : yes
32 cpuid level : 1
33 wp : yes
34 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
35 pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2
36 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni
37 lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc
38 bogomips : 4409.17
41 Now with 2.6.16 it shows:
42 jim@keelie$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
43 processor : 0
44 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
45 cpu family : 15
46 model : 47
47 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
48 stepping : 2
49 cpu MHz : 2000.000
50 ^^^^^^^^^^
51 <snip>
52 bogomips : 4409.17
55 The bogomips are showing the same though the kernel is not reporting
56 the correct MHz.
57
58 Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?
59
60 Jim
61 --
62 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list