From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kernel.org vs. Gentoo-64 bit kernels (xruns)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:06:22
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > xruns are a term specific to the Jack server
3 > (jack-audio-connection-kit) that tell us whether we've had and overrun
4 > or an underrun. It's would be off topic to go deeply into how Jack
5 > operates when talking to sound cards, but take it to mean something
6 > bad has happened with real-time audio data.
7
8 You might want to investigate Ingo Molnar's realtime patches [1] (in
9 case you don't already know about them). They are apparently very good
10 at keeping worst-case latencies very low. I tried an older version of
11 that patchset (just used it for normal desktop stuff) and it seemed to
12 work fine. I heard that people use it for audio stuff, but I don't do
13 anything much with audio myself.
14
15 Marco
16