From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: x server problem
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:51:47
1 Trevor Rhodes <trevor@×××××××××××××.net> posted
2 44EEF1E0.5060502@×××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 25 Aug 2006
3 22:49:36 +1000:
4
5 > I have the following X,
6 >
7 > X Window System Version 7.0.0
8 >
9 > but am also getting this:
10 >
11 > Your X server does not support resizing and rotating the display. Please
12 > update to version 4.3 or greater. You need the X resize and rotate
13 > extension (RandR) version 1.1 or greater to use this feature.
14 >
15 > It is installed. What am I doing wrong?
16
17 That can be a couple of different things.
18
19 You say xorg-7.0 (what the above means), which has the RandR (Resize and
20 Rotate) extension. However, xorg is now modular, and the randr package is
21 separate from the X-server.
22
23 You need:
24
25 x11-proto/randrproto (1.1.2 is the only version in portage,
26 making that easy)
27
28 x11-libs/libXrandr (1.1.1 only version in portage)
29
30 ... and some sort of randr client -- which it seems you already have and
31 that is giving you that error. (That sounds to me like the kcontrol
32 display applet, or krandrtray, the tray applet that also is part of the
33 kcontrol package. There are others, however, including x11-apps/xrandr,
34 and presumably a similar gnome applet.)
35
36 Also note that the actual abilities available with the client, once you
37 have the software installed, depend on your hardware and configuration.
38 Here, I don't have any rotate functionality at all, but I've attributed
39 that to either the hardware and driver (radeon 9200 card), or the fact
40 that I'm running dual monitors on it. If I were running only a single
41 monitor, I might have the rotate functionality that I'm missing running
42 two. The resize choices seem to depend on the resolutions you have
43 configured in xorg.conf, or at least those are the resize choices I have
44 available here.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list