From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: TCP/IP MultiThreading
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:47:15
1 "Mihir Sevak" <mihir.sevak@×××××.com> posted
2 48fcf8860605301209h51c72533l17b9aff20f5518dd@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 30 May 2006 15:09:18 -0400:
4
5 > can anyone guide me how to do TCP/IP multithreading at kernel level???
6
7 Well, not kernel level, but take a look at klibido and the (still
8 masked) pan-0.9x packages, for a couple of newsreaders managing multiple
9 connections to multiple servers. PAN's gtk based, klibido is of course
10 kde based. Both are C++ based and have versions later than what's in
11 portage available from their home sites, with source that should prove
12 quite instructive in terms of managing multiple TCP/IP connections to
13 multiple servers at once. There's a simpler but more mature implementation
14 in the older (C based) PAN 0.14.x series, as well.
15
16 Kernel level full implementations... the only thing I can think of is the
17 old 2.4 kernel based in-kernel Tux webserver. That wasn't carried over to
18 2.6 kernels as the problems with user-space apache and how it played with
19 the kernel, that had lead to the development of the in-kernel Tux webserver
20 had been alleviated to a large degree by the time of 2.6, and it was
21 considered an abuse of kernel-space for security and policy reasons, so it
22 was dropped from the mainline kernel.
23
24 Hmm... there is the multipath kernel RAID drivers. I know very little
25 about that and am not sure whether they are or can be TCP based or not,
26 but if so, that would be another partly/mostly kernel based implementation.
27
28 Connection bonding? That'd be another place to look.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list