From: Wil Reichert <wil.reichert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 2.6.22 kernel and WiFi
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:03:17
1 On 7/16/07, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Am Montag 16 Juli 2007 14:31 schrieb Mark Haney:
3 > > Okay, here's just a general question I'd like to get some info (or at
4 > > least opinions) on. I've been reading up on the changes to the latest
5 > > stable kernel (2.6.22) and the rewrite of the WiFi driver architecture.
6 > > One of the things I noticed was that my chipset (Broadcom) has drivers
7 > > in the upstream kernel, but wasn't included in the rewrite and that only
8 > > a handful of drivers we stable enough for the .22 kernel. My question
9 > > is this, how does the new kernel affect the existing drivers? Ie, will
10 > > I stil be able to use the .22 kernel with my broadcom/ndiswrapper
11 > > combination until a new driver from upstream is stable?
12 > >
13 > > Does anyone know?
14 > >
15 > > --
16 > > Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!
19 > > Mark Haney
20 > > Sr. Systems Administrator
21 > > ERC Broadband
22 > > (828) 350-2415
23 > >
24 > > Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
25 >
26 > As far as I know there is not a single driver based on the new interface, yet.
27 > Therefore the old interface is still included and your drivers should work.
28
29 I've got a orinoco card which I believe is using the new mac80211 code
30 - its the only wireless stack I'm compiling into the kernel.
31 Whatever, I'm glad they decided to standardize this.
32
33 Wil
34 --
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list