From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: attempt to emerge dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra-2008-r1 failed
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 00:42:48
1 "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu> posted 49FDCD09.7070204@×××.edu,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 03 May 2009 12:57:45 -0400:
3
4 > Thanks, Duncan. Yesterday I did eix-sync shortly before emerge --search
5 > portage. To see if a new portage version became available overnight, I
6 > just now did eix-sync and emerge --search portage. The results are the
7 > same; the latest version available version of sys-apps/portage is still
8 > listed as 2.1.6.11, which is the version I have installed.
9 >
10 > I attempted to manually download the source file, and place it in
11 > distfiles, and then run emerge. Specifically, I downloaded
12 > texlive-module-collection-latexextra-2008.tar.lzma from
13 > http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/gentoo/distfiles/?C=N%3BO=D and placed the
14 > file in /usr/portage/distfiles. Then I did "emerge texlive-latexextra".
15 > The response stated with
16 >>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
17 >>>> Emerging (1 of 1) dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra-2008-r1
18 > [Errno 7] Argument list too long:
19 > /bin/bash -c touch "/usr/portage/distfiles/.__portage_test_write__"
20 > 2>/dev/null ; rval=$? ; rm -f
21 > "/usr/portage/distfiles/.__portage_test_write__" ; exit $rval
22
23 That's clearly a portage bug (even if we didn't already know it based on
24 the bug you mentioned and the new versions that are /supposed/ to be
25 out), as that argument list isn't even that long at all.
26
27 So one way or another, we gotta get around that bug.
28
29 One thing I noticed is that it's an lzma archive, which isn't all that
30 common yet. You've verified that you can decompress that source archive
31 manually, right?
32
33 Meanwhile, on portage upgrade side...
34
35 After a fresh sync to ensure I'm updated here, epkginfo portage shows the
36 following:
37
38 Keywords: portage-2.1.4.5:
39 Keywords: portage-2.1.6.4:
40 Keywords: portage-2.1.6.7:
41 Keywords: portage-2.1.6.11: alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 m68k ppc ppc64 s390
42 sh sparc x86
43 Keywords: portage-2.1.6.12:
44 Keywords: portage-2.2_rc28:
45 Keywords: portage-2.2_rc31:
46 Keywords: portage-2.2_rc32: ~alpha ~amd64 ~arm ~hppa ~ia64 ~m68k ~mips
47 ~ppc ~ppc64 ~s390 ~sh ~sparc ~sparc-fbsd ~x86 ~x86-fbsd
48
49 So 2.1.6.12 is indeed in-tree, but no arch has keyworded it stable yet.
50 I don't see any masking and checking the ebuild itself, I see it's
51 keyworded ~arch.
52
53 As it happens, I'm on ~arch and am running the 2.2-rc series. I had
54 upgraded to rc32 before my first reply, and as has become my habit as a
55 good admin, I checked the changelog before I upgraded. I thus noted
56 mention of the fix for "bug #262647 ('Argument list too long' triggered
57 by long SRC_URI)".
58
59 So... I don't know why it hasn't been stable-keyworded, except that archs
60 probably haven't gotten to it yet, but you might wish to consider adding:
61
62 ~sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.12
63
64 ... to your package.keywords file or directory. (See the portage (5)
65 manpage for details if you aren't familiar with package.keywords.)
66
67 That will accept the unstable ~arch for just that one version of portage,
68 including any revisions, should there be any necessary, thus allowing you
69 to merge that version, which should have your bugfix. =:^)
70
71 Since you're a stable user, presumably because you don't normally want
72 the potential hassle of testing ~arch, I'd not recommend you just put
73 portage in there (without a version), as there are indeed occasional
74 issues ~arch users have to deal with, and when they're in the package
75 manager... OTOH, ~arch users like me enjoy the challenge of being guinea
76 pigs for stable users as well as getting newer packages even if it means
77 occasional problems to deal with, and there's a place for both types of
78 users.
79
80 There are other alternatives too. Did you try using the --fetchonly
81 option? The bug mentions that worked for some people.
82
83 There's some additional discussion on why it happens -- are you using an
84 old kernel (<2.6.23)? They had shorter max commandline lengths. Thus,
85 upgrading your kernel is presumably another alternative.
86
87 You can also try the specific patch on top of your current portage
88 version. Of course, in this case it looks like you'd need SVN as all Zac
89 mentions in the bug is the SVN revision number, but it's a common enough
90 technique for folks wanting to keep tested and otherwise known to work
91 versions.
96 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman