From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrade from single to dual core CPU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:49:40
1 Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 18:16 +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 25 January 2006 17:59, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I build with -j5 and 1GB of ram. If it ooms for you, you have a broken
6 >>> kernel, get a better one. (I use ck-sources, and have never seen an OOM
7 >>> of any variety)
8 >> I used a wide array of kernels.
9 >>
10 >> OOM is easy:
11 >> compile kde-base or kdelibs with kdeenablefinal or wesnoth.
12 >
13 > Been there, done that, no OOM. Your kernel is broken.
14
15 All it should take is some extra running programs taking up memory, a
16 few memory hunry parallel g++ compiles and memory will become all used
17 up. There isn't anything much a kernel can do except to send the
18 oom-killer for a visit... Although Volker's reports in another part of
19 this thread where he stated that swap was not used does indeed seem
20 strange, if not broken.
21
22 Marco
23 --