From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How to install multilib'ed version of any library (for real multilib for x86 and x86_64 for every libraries)?
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:00:32
In Reply to: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How to install multilib'ed version of any library (for real multilib for x86 and x86_64 for every libraries)? by Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
1 On 11/15/2009 03:25 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > There's a couple of experimental projects whereby portage is modified
3 > to be able to handle multiple ABI installations in parallel. As a
4 > matter of practice, I don't know if they'll ever get merged, because
5 > we've gone this long without it, and as I mentioned, the worst need
6 > was along about 2006 or so, when a lot of folks had switched already
7 > but Flash and etc weren't yet available for 64-bit, and even
8 > mainstream FLOSS apps like Open Office hadn't been ported. Since
9 > pretty much everything mainstream FLOSS has been ported now, and the
10 > proprietaryware folks are coming around to 64-bit as well, there's
11 > far less need for multilib in general than there used to be, and the
12 > need/demand will be ever weaker with time.
13
14 Multilib is still very useful. 64-bit Firefox is slow as molasses
15 currently (it uses the legacy javascript engine), and every 32-bit app
16 that uses Qt or Gtk looks extremely ugly due to missing 32-bit Qt/Gtk
17 styles. Wine will never be 64-bit and it needs libraries not available
18 in emul packages.
19
20 Also, lets not forget that many people would prefer a 32-bit userland
21 running on a 64-bit kernel.
22
23 Bottom line, multilib will be needed (and useful) for many years to come.